Saturday, March 1, 2014

***Lisa Medley***


Sleuths' Ink Highlight of our fantastic members, starting with Lisa Medley. Her debut novel releases March 3, 2014 in the boxed set 
and stand alone June 2, 2014.

We are honored to have Lisa ... drum roll, please.

Writing Reapers Was All A Mystery To Me
I didn’t originally sit down to write a book about reapers. Reapers aren’t sexy. Reapers are death. And skeletal. And…grim. I first tried writing about vampires because, well, VAMPIRES. When I gave my first 30K of my first real novel attempt to my BFF, her reply was, “It’s good, but what makes it different?”
      Erm, nothing. Same old story. Same old (okay, old but HOT vampires). I needed something that hadn’t been reincarnated for the umteenth bazillionth time. Something that might stand out in a crowded field of paranormal monsters in love.
      I chose reapers. And then I set out to make them better. Still human looking but human DELUXE! Lots of dark potential there. I sat down and got to work making a world for them to live in, threw in some demons, an evil fallen angel and the Reaper Series was born.

      Reap & Repent is Deacon and Ruth’s story.
Once I started writing, it didn’t take long for Deacon and Ruth to take over. I wasn’t telling their story. They were telling their story. About halfway through, I realized we all three needed a plan and finally sat down and organized all of the sticky notes, which had previously been decorating my car dashboard, writing cave desk and notebooks. I typed them up and printed them out.
      HOLY COW, I had a plot! So THAT’s how that happens.
      From that point on, I put Deacon and Ruth in peril, threw roadblocks in their way, and let their love grow until I reached the end, some eighty thousand words later.
      And THE END ends with one of my favorite things.
      BACON.
      If you’d like to see how it all plays out, here’s your chance. Book one of the reaper series, Reap & Repent, is available now. Here’s a taste, (follow the link).


Reap & Repent Blurb:
Deacon Walker is a burned out loner, whose two hundred years as a reaper have left him empty inside. But when he meets Ruth Scott, a gorgeous shut-in with unusual gifts, he’s forced to set his career complacency aside to train her for a destiny she never knew existed. Soon the two will face the ultimate test: a battle against demons determined to destroy humanity, one soul at a time.



Lisa Medley writes reapers. The grim kind. Her urban fantasy romance, Reap & Repent is available now in a Harlequin E Box Set with three other Harlequin debut authors. A lover of beasties of all sorts, she has a farm full of them in her SW MO home including:  one child, one husband, two dogs, two cats, a dozen hens, thousands of Italian bees and a guinea pig. Not so in love with the guinea pig. She can do ten pushups IN A ROW and may or may not have a complete zombie apocalypse bug-out bag in her trunk at all times. Just. In. Case.






Reap & Repent is available March 3, 2014 in a Harlequin E Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance Box Set with the works of three other amazing new Harlequin authors! Reap & Repent will be available for single-title release June 2, 2014.

4 comments:

Shirley said...

Well, the ending sounds VERY interesting. Bacon? Can't wait to get my copy on Monday. Love your sense of humor, so the book is bound to be a winner. Big congrats, Lisa.

Anonymous said...

Love this book! So excited for the official release tomorrow.

Angela Drake said...

You had be at Bacon! LOL I am so over the moon for you, kiddo. I know first hand what an awesome series you have created and feel blessed to have been one of your confidants on this journey. Love and Blessings - Angela

SK Jarkins said...

Bacon! Reapers!!! Oh my! Great post, Lisa. Keep 'em coming.

March Meeting

    Schyrlet Cameron-  Schyrlet is half of the writing team CC Brown. CC Brown is the pseudonym adopted by the two sisters,  Schyrlet Camero...