Participants are challenged to write a 50,000-word novel during January. Join us and kick off the new year with a novel in progress!
Two good reasons we picked January 2015:
1) You get an extra day to write. To complete 50,000 words during January, you only need to write 1,613 words a day.
2) The holidays are over. Winter has set in. What better way to spend a long, dreary month than writing a novel?
Over the past few years, participants from across the nation entered our challenge. Many of them reached their 50,000 goal, with a few actually receiving a contract for their completed JANO project.
To celebrate JANO members’ successes, Sleuths’ Ink will sponsor a party February 7, 2015. Details are forthcoming. As always, during the party, prizes will be awarded to our JANO 2015 participants. See categories below. In addition, we're giving away a $100 grand prize to one lucky JANO participant at our annual December holiday party. The winner of this grand prize must be a Sleuths’ Ink member in good standing as of February 1, 2015 and must have written a minimum of 25,000 words in 2015.
PRIZE CATEGORIES FOR JANO:
- First to 50,000 words in January
- Second to 50,000 words in January
- Third to to 50,000 words in January
- Best Title
- Best First Paragraph
- Most Unique Character Name
- Best Blurb – 100 words or less
KEEP IN MIND: a Blurb is often used in your query letter to sell your story to an editor or what is found on the back of the book to grab your potential reader’s attention.
- Participant MUST have written at least 10,000 words to be eligible for prizes
- Must be on the janowriters yahoo email loop.
- No acceptances after MIDNIGHT January 31, 2015 deadline. NO exceptions!!!
Attendees of the Wrap-Up Party judge the last four categories on Saturday February 7th, 2015 and prizes awarded accordingly. You do not have to be in attendance to win, but we encourage everyone within driving distance to come join the FUN!
PLEASE JOIN US FOR JANO 2015!
Sleuths' Ink will hold its SIXTH Annual JANO in 2015 beginning January 1. Please join us and kick off the new year by writing a new novel or adding new words only to a work in progress.
Rules: There may be no actual writing on your JANO novel until January 1, but you may plot your novel and create character sketches before January 1, 2015. On that date, write like mad (no editing) the entire month in order to reach the 50,000-word goal. This year seven prizes will be awarded to JANO participants. All donations are greatly appreciated.
JANO is sponsored by Sleuths’ Ink, a mystery and suspense writers’ non-profit organization in Springfield, Missouri. Contact: S.K. Jarkins JANO 2015 Chair jano2015 [at] yahoo [dot] com
Or sign up at email@example.com